Thursday, December 4, 2008

Feed Me!

It's been a couple of eventful days in the NICU for Ava. Yesterday I was able to hold my baby for the first time since after her delivery last Friday. It felt so good to hold her, to touch her and to kiss her as much as I wanted...well for at least 45 minutes. Ava's jaundice level increased slightly so they were trying to keep her under the Bily Light as much as possible. The doctor had also doubled the amount of breast milk they were feeding her through the line in her mouth. All great progress! Last night when Jason called to check in on her, she was still doing great.

I went in for my usual noon visit today to find the Bily Light gone. Ava's color looked great and they had been waiting for me to come in for her very first bottle. This was a huge deal! We were about to see if she could handle taking in food on her own. Because they were worried about the choking potential, Ava's nurse was going to give her the bottle. Ava looked like a little bird waiting in the nest for mom to bring back food. Her mouth was wide open...like she just new what was coming. She downed an ounce with passion, only choking a few times. Both times she gave a little cough and took care of the matter on her own. Very impressive! We got many good burps as well. After her bottle was gone, it was snuggle time. Ava immediately fell asleep in my arms, comfortable with mommy and content with a full belly. I couldn't put her down and luckily our nurse is very accommodating.
Yummy! Give me more!!

Burp, burp, burp
Hmmm....a full belly feels so good!
A good nap was definitely in order after sucking down that bottle.
See the line going into her belly button and the one going into her mouth? They both should be gone when I go visit our angle tomorrow at noon!
Shortly before leaving I found out that Ava was being moved to NICU2 at 2:30pm. Once there, I'll be able to hold her and feed her much more. But the best news of all was that if she continues to do well with her feedings, our baby girl might be home before the end of the weekend! Keep your fingers crossed!!

6 comments:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

She is absolute perfection! I can't wait for her to come home so I can finally hold her. Keep getting stronger, little one...your family is waiting for you!

Judyann said...

Awesome news Jamie. So glad to hear it. Ava is so beautiful. I too can't wait to see her and maybe I'll be lucky enough to get to hold her too.

Pam said...

Oh my, she is so beautiful. I want one!

Pam said...

How about a picture of Mommy and Ava???

Chere said...

A girl after my heart eat, burp and sleep. She is so beautiful. I was surprised to see the tube still in her thorat and drinking from a bottle. OUCH!

Judyann said...

Jamie, so glad to hear Ava is finally coming home. Can't wait to meet her in person. Enjoy your time with your precious little girl.