Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Great Solution


I HATE grocery shopping! Where is the enjoyment in putting together a menu for the week (consisting of meals that you may or may not be in the mood for at the time), going to a grocery store to cruise the isles that takes up about an hour of your day, going home and unloading all of the bags and then having to find a place for everything. Then heaven forbid you forget to take something out of the freezer to thaw for that night's dinner and then your stuck. Let's not forget to mention the amount of crap that ends up in your cart like chips, Twinkies, ice cream...I could go on and on here.

And moms, especially the ones with more than one child, how hard is to go grocery shopping with your kids? Let me tell you how hard it is with 2 boys. At Publix, they have those **fantastic** shopping carts that look like cars. Both of the boys fit nicely into the car and each has their own steering wheel. As I'm walking through produce it actually sounds like there's a NASCAR vehicle racing through the store. You can actually here the car accelerate, screech around corners and every once in a while crash into a mystery obstacle. All of this while I'm getting "those" looks from the other childless adults in the store that are only trying to find the ripest tomato. You know "those" looks...the ones filled with pity...the ones that say "I'm sorry you must live such a miserable existence...yeah, "those" looks.

So I've come up with a great solution. I don't plan out a weekly menu, I don't take my kids to the store with me and I don't end up with a $250 grocery bill that makes me want to slip into a coma. I figure out every day while I'm at work what I feel like eating for dinner that night. It also depends on if Jason will be home for dinner, if my mom will be joining us or if the boys aren't feeling well. I go to the store after work and buy exactly what I need for dinner that night. Nothing more. Now, this is not an inconvenience since I drive right past Publix on my way to pick up the boys. I'm in and out in 10 minutes and it's totally stress free. There's nothing to put away when I get home because I'm using it all for that night's meal! I'd also like to add that I don't have to worry about my mental well being when they give me my grand total because it's normally between $10 and $20. Voila!

Does anyone else do this or am I the only one that looks at the grocery store as my enemy? Seriously...I'd love to know!

1 comment:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Let me say how much I appreciate your well-prepared home-cooked meals! It is inconvenient to cook for one (and I get tired of my buds and veggies meals). So, a BIG thanks for all the free meals-on-wheels! For this reason, I enjoy treating you and your family to a cookless evening like last night at Wings 'n Things. And the $1 draft beers are mighty tasty! You are a GREAT mother and daughter. Thanks!