Thursday, January 8, 2009

Our Middle Child


I think since Jameson was born he just knew that he would someday be a middle child. At least that would explain most of his behavior issues. We were all very concerned about how Jameson would handle having another baby in the family. I had nightmares of him poking Ava in the eyes, dragging her across the floor by her legs, pushing her off the couch and hitting her in an attempt to gain access to my lap. Jason and I were both prepared for the worse. I like to remind everyone that since joining Ayden at Royal Learners, we have seen some major improvements in Jameson. He has been sleeping in his own bed for quite some time now without complaint. He is starting to show more remorse when he does something wrong...especially if it causes pain (hitting, kicking...etc.). We still struggle in the mornings with drop offs at school, but he quickly gets over being upset and snuggles up to Ms Heather all day.
This week is huge for us. We're starting the potty training process again. We had started potty training while at Marguerite's but it came to an abrupt halt when we moved to RL. Monday was horrible. He had temper tantrums every time he was put on the potty and he had accident after accident until he was out of clean clothes some time around noon. Heather and I were completely discouraged, but decided to keep up the fight. Amazingly, Jameson was accident free on Tuesday and wasn't bothered at all when Ms Heather took him to the potty every 20 minutes. Wednesday went even better because instead of being told to go potty, he voluntarily used the toilet when he had to go and again was accident free.
This morning Jameson surprised me yet again. I was trying to get the boys ready for school while baby Ava rested on the couch. After kicking her legs around for a good 10 minutes, she was bored and started to get fussy. I was getting Ayden's shoes on and looked over to find Jameson stroking Ava's tummy in a loving way and "talking" to her with a soft voice. I praised Jameson for being such a good brother and he simply turned around, gave me a beaming smile and went back to loving on his sister. Because of him, Ava calmed down and gave me the time I needed to finish up with Ayden. My heart just about burst with all the love and pride I felt at that moment.
Despite being a middle child, I think Jameson is handling himself very well. He's still a typical two year old with lots of attitude and spunk but I think that's what makes him so much fun. One minute he'll chastise me for helping him with his dinner and the next he's snuggled up on my lap while sucking his thumb. I still love to crawl into bed with him in the morning because he lets me wrap my arms around him and give as many kisses as I want. But when snuggle time is over, he's back to tearing up the house in typical Jameson style. We love him for his sweetness, his sassiness and his unpredictability. He keeps us on our toes and we're constantly wondering what he'll get into next.

We love you little man!

3 comments:

Pam said...

He's adorable! Love this post about your little boy being such a sweetie! Just precious!

Roxanne Schwandt said...

my gosh what a sweetheart!!!!!!!!!

Judyann said...

Tell Jameson how proud we are of him. He is doing so well. That's darling that he was loving Ava and calming her down. That's what big brothers are supposed to do.