Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My 2009 Word

Do you remember this post from last year? All I can say is that I failed...big time. I did absolutely nothing to simplify my life in '08. In fact, a lot of things happened that only complicated it more!

1. Pregnancy (which turned out to be a totally awesome thing, but being pregnant isn't always easy)
2. Jameson's behavior/speech problems
3. Moving Jameson to Royal Learners (which also turned out to be a totally awesome thing, but the transition was killer)
4. Getting Ayden used to wearing glasses
5. Studying for and taking the CPP exam...sure am glad that's over!

There's so much more but I won't continue to bore you.

So when we rang in the new year, I thought I would give up on having a "word" for 2009. Why add more pressure to my life? But then I realized that even though I failed at simplifying my life, I wouldn't trade it for the world. And then I knew what my 2009 "word" just had to be....

Embrace

I'm going to embrace my life instead of trying to change it. Every person goes through struggles in life. When I think about what some of the people in this country are facing right now, I realize I need to embrace all of the positive things in my life.

1. My family - I love my husband and he loves me. He's a fantastic provider, husband, father and friend. I have three beautiful children who keep me entertained 24/7. They drive me nuts, they make me laugh and they can bring tears to my eyes with just one sweet hug and kiss.
2. My job - I'm employed by a wonderful organization and in these times of economic turmoil I am grateful for even receiving a paycheck.
3. My health - I have Lupus but fortunately it does not control my life and I know that it could be so much worse. My doctor loves to inform me that I'm one of the lucky ones.
4. My friends - I may not have a ton of friends but I believe in quality not quantity. The friends that I have are loyal, honest and devoted. If I ever truly needed anything, they would all be there for me...even the Wisconsinites.

I will continue to experience both ups and downs...that's just a part of life. In 2009 I want to embrace both the good and the bad. In the end, the challenges make me a better person and the joys make it all worthwhile. So if you see me complain too much this year, be sure to remind me of my '09 word!!

What about the rest of you? Did you have a "word" for 2008? Did you succeed, fail or end up somewhere in between? Has anyone chosen a word for 2009?

5 comments:

Deb said...

Very nice post, Jamie. And I loved most of all the comment about your Lupus. It does not control you. Remember I told you that I have a cousin who will be 50this year that has Lupus. She does not allow Lupus to control her either.

A word...hmmm...I must contemplate that one.

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Embrace is a great word for you. I will have to put more thought into my word.

Chere said...

Hmmmmm......a word for 2009????? I think that my word would have to be: relax. Do not sweat the little stuff. Go with the flow or as my kids like to say "Chill".

Pam said...

Great post! My word for the year-same as always - ENJOY! I want to find happiness and contentment in every minute I'm alive!

Judyann said...

Love that word Jamie. It's perfect for you. I'm thinking my word might have to be along the same lines. Right now I'm tossing around Grateful. Thanks for the idea.