Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What we do all day

After waking up, Ava gets her diaper changed. She poops a lot! Ava loves to be swaddled. If she goes to bed without being swaddled, she just doesn't sleep very well.

After being swaddled, it's time for a yummy bottle. Ava drinks anywhere from 4-6 ounces. After every 2 ounces she'll spit her bottle out which is how we know that she's ready for a burp.

She's exhausted after her breakfast and is ready for nap #1. She'll sleep for about 3-4 hours and we'll repeat the process all over again.What do I do after putting Ava down in her crib? I pump! It became very painful to both pump and nurse Ava after she was released from the NICU. I was producing waaaay more than she was consuming so I kept getting clogged up. After many frustrating weeks of trying to do both, I decided to stick to pumping and bottle feeding. Below you see 12 ounces of breast milk that I pumped out this morning...I'm a total overproducer!So what do we do with all of the extra milk? We freeze it. Unfortunately, we're running out of space. This is one of the bins of the freezer inside the house. It's packed.

So is the top shelf.So is the freezer in the garage!It's a good thing that we also have a chest freezer. Jason just threw away everything last night and gave it a good cleaning with bleach water. Now I have plenty of room for more frozen breast milk.

How much have we stored up so far? We have over 200 bags of frozen breast milk with approximately 6 ounces in each bag. I'm starting to feel like a cow!

So now you know how we spend our day...eating, pooping, sleeping and pumping!

4 comments:

Deb said...

Your cup runneth over, huh? Poor Erika couldn't muster up enough milk for her little one. I think milk production increases with each child.
Ava is looking so healthy and growing like a little weed. She's beautiful and happy.
You are blessed, Jamie!

Nikki S. said...

Wow, I'm glad you made the cow comment- as a good friend I would never say anything like that- but I was definately thinking it!!! I don't think I've ever seen so much breat milk! Glad you had time to post- I was having withdrawls.

Judyann said...

Wow, good for you to have so much stocked up. I never could get that much milk with any of my kids. Glad things are going well.

Erika said...

OMG! I'm jealous! I could only produce maybe 2 oz per session and no wonder i got fustrated. Good for you and Ava!