Friday, May 23, 2008

Working my way back to "normal"

Whatever "normal" is. I actually don't think Jason and I have experienced normal since Ayden's birth almost 4 years ago. Normal for us used to be coming home from work, plopping my butt on the couch to wait for Jason to get home from work, when he would then slam open the door and yell out "Bitch, make me a chicken potpie". Okay, so he never actually said that...unless he was joking.

I guess normal for me is getting up at 4:45am to get ready for the day. Get the kids dressed and drive them to Marguerite's. Make my way through morning rush hour to the Chamber and put in a nice 8 hour day. Pick up the kids, make dinner, sing the ABC's throughout bath time and then finally plop my butt on the couch for snuggle time before tucking them into bed. And if there's some time in there to load the dishwasher and fold a load of laundry, then it's a even more successful day! Believe it or not, I'm looking forward to getting back to that type of normal after the past couple of months of feeling sick and overly tired. I feel like I've been standing still watching life zoom by me. We'll, I'm ready to jump back into life and normal as I know it.

Part of getting back to normal is resuming my ferocious appetite. Now that the nausea is making an exit, I'm starting to enjoy food again. What made all of my hard work in preparing for our conference all worth is was the fabulous catered meals I got to enjoy. Yesterday topped the charts. Jason's Deli catered breakfast with a beautiful fruit tray, pastries and breakfast sandwiches. By the time I digested breakfast it was on to lunch. We had this sinful shrimp/wild rice dish, grilled chicken in a marsala sauce, a potato casserole thing and green beans. I was in heaven! I was even more thrilled when I found out the caterers brought to-go boxes with them for leftovers. I packed mine to the brim so Debbie and the boys would have a yummy lunch today. In the refrigerator, I found left over Jason's Deli breakfast sandwiches so I loaded a zip lock baggie with 3 sandwiches for them to have for breakfast today as well.

As I was walking to the parking garage with my arms loaded down with food (I forgot to mention the tub of mini-brownies I confiscated), I ran into a homeless man. Now, under normal circumstances...not pregnant, not exhausted from the conference and not as crabby...I may have given him all of the leftovers (except the brownies) and felt like a caring person. But I am pregnant, and I was exhausted and crabby and not feeling very generous. So I walked past him with my loot and proceeded to the elevators. And you know what? I still don't feel guilty. Debbie and the kids will be eating well today and that's all that matters.

Back to the whole getting back to normal thing...I'm really going to try hard to download/edit all my photos this weekend. I'm still trying to scan in the ultrasound pictures but I think half the problem is that there isn't much to scan. Seriously! It's like a black void with this little white bean that's only 2.5 inches long. Not a whole lot to look at. But don't fret my beloved readers. I have another ultrasound scheduled for 6/16 and I bet there will be more to look at then.

Okay, enough chatter. I'm off to process payroll. Have a great Memorial Day weekend!!!

3 comments:

Deb said...

I'm so happy you are back! I love reading your blog and everyone else's for that matter. How fun to have that little white bean to nurture and love. Cannot wait to hear the baby's sex next month. I am still playing the Granma-in-waiting game. Maybe Jack will arrive this weekend...I will post photos immediately on my blog as long as Northside has free internet access!!

Chere said...

I am glad you are back. You aren't busy are you? I have two issues.

First, the slamming in the door, calling out $*#$$ and dinner must be a northern thang. My big darling would come in the door with flowers and say "hello sweetheart, do you want to go out for dinner?". Ha Ha Ha More like, comes in the house, says hello to the dogs, makes his way into the den and ask "did you cook?".

Second, It is called the joys of Motherhood. I can remember when I used to have my car washed once a week and my purse matched my shoes. After raising two wonderful children, I just go with the flow. I normally have on tennis shoes and no purse.

Hope you and your family have a safe and relaxing Memorial Day.

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Jamie, I don't think "normal" happens in your family. Seriously -- when did normal ever exist for you? Normal is chaos, noise, work, and a never-ending "to do" list. One day your life will be slower. Your boys will be grown and you and Jason will become empty nesters. Then...you become grandparents and normal is a thing of the past...again! It's what makes life exciting and worth getting up every morning. I wouldn't trade my life and all the things in it for all the money in the world! On second thought, let me think about it...