Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I'm an overproducer

When I first started to nurse Ayden, I had a problem producing enough milk. After working with two very awesome lactation consultants at Theda Clark, I started to take herbal supplements to increase my supply. Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle are both known to stimulate milk production and they did the trick for me.

Now, 4 1/2 years later, I seem to be having the exact opposite problem. I am making way too much milk. On an average day I pump 72 ounces (18 ounces, 4 times a day) and sweet baby Ava only drinks 24-28 ounces. I'm freezing a lot of breastmilk. Actually, I now have about 600 bags of frozen breastmilk and I'm running out of room. Not only am I having storage issues, but I'm constantly in a state of discomfort. My goal is to pump only 24 ounces per day, but at this point I'm not against quiting altogether. It's not like I don't have a 4 month supply sitting in the freezer!

So after some research and okaying it with the lactation consultants at Piedmont, I'm going to start by drinking 3-6 cups of peppermint tea every day (this shows I'm desperate because I don't like tea). If the tea doesn't do the trick, they've also recommended trying sage capsules and antihistamines (Benadryl). I'll let you know how it goes

Sorry for getting so personal, but it's been something I've needed to get off my chest...ha ha ha. Get it? I crack myself up!

Update: After telling my boss about my game plan, she pulled out an entire box of organic peppermint tea from her drawer! I'm on my first cup of tea and I have to admit that it's not horrible tasting. Hopefully it works...

7 comments:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Yum! I love tea with a dash of honey. This could be the start of a whole new career for you -- you could become the spokesperson for Mayfield Dairy, Chik-fil-a, or Sargento cheese :)

Jamie Payne said...

Hmmmm. I think you may have something there!

Judyann said...

Peppermint tea is also good for upset stomachs. Maybe you could treat yourself to some Teavanna mint tea. Good luck with the milk issues.

Deb said...

I believe there is a foundataion for mothers with plentiful milk supply where you can donate. Otherwise, I'm with your mom...start making cheese!

Pam said...

Can't you sell it????

Erika said...

If we didn't have mothers to make fun of us then what fun would life really be? Cheese really!

I have a girlfriend who's still breastfeeding and unlike me is producing lots too, her daughet is 6 months and they too have an overload of breastmilk. I'll have to tell her about this!

Roxanne Schwandt said...

I love peppermint tea, but I will be sure NOT to drink any as I don't want to stint my supply :)

As for your over supply, you could donate to the NICU where Ava was, if they take donations. Nikki had mentioned that the other day when we were discussing such subject. tee hehe he he :)