Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Maybe I'm Just Selfish

Obviously, everyone is talking about our next president. The Chamber consists of mostly republican employees so there isn't a whole lot of celebrating going on in the halls today.

But I'm celebrating and it's not because Obama will be our 44th president. I'm celebrating because Jameson had his speech evaluation today and I couldn't happier with the outcome. Maybe I'm being selfish, but my family is always my first concern and Jameson trumps our new president.

So, here's the outcome of today's evaluation:

1. Yes, Jameson does seem to have a speech delay but it's not significant enough to qualify for the Babies Can't Wait program. The therapist said that Jameson's delay could be a result of so many ear infections and that our pediatrician is notorious for delaying tubes and ENT referrals.

2. While Jameson doesn't qualify for speech therapy, Wanda did see some behavioral problems while at the house. Not a behavioral disorder, but definite problems. When my focus was taken away from Jameson, he would lay on the floor and kick my legs or he would hit me with his stuffed frog. When I would try to reprimand him, he'd simply laugh at me like we were playing a game. She said she sees nothing that can not be corrected with a little coaching from one of their behavioral therapists. This coaching will involve both me and Jason since we need to be on the same page. Obviously what worked for Ayden is not working for Jameson and we just need to be pointed in the right direction.

3. While we investigate the usefulness of tubes at this point, we will also have the full behavioral evaluation on Monday. After that evaluation the therapist and coordinator will set some goals for Jameson and then actual therapy will start probably the following week. Despite Jameson not qualifying for the program because of a speech delay, most of their behavioral therapists also have a speech background so he'll end up getting help in both areas.

So even though the outcome of today's evaluation wasn't just that we have a typical crazy 2 year old, I feel very positive. Jason and I are going to be provided with the right tools to help our child and that is cause for celebration in my book. I'm so happy that a professional was able to witness Jameson's aggressive behavior and told me exactly what I needed to hear..."we're going to fix this".

1 comment:

Roxanne Schwandt said...

Yeahhhh!!! That is surely reason to celebrate! I'm so happy you guys will be able to give Jameson exactly what he needs. Defiantely goes to prove that all kids are different whether they come from the same parents or not. Good for you guys! Time for some celebatory ice cream, eh?