Sunday, November 30, 2008

Welcome Ava!

Things definitely did not go according to plans on Friday. We finally headed to the hospital around 11am when my contractions were still 5 minutes apart but getting more painful. Once I got changed into a gown, we found out I was only dilated 3cm. Instead of sending me home, they suggested I walk around for about an hour and they would check me again. After an hour of wandering around, I was dilated to 4cm. They decided to break my water and give my an epidural. After another hour of waiting and watching TV, we were at 7cm. Another hour went by and they put in a catheter to relieve my bladder. That was all it took...without a full bladder Ava was ready to come out. And do I mean ready! Dr. Rogers didn't even have me wait for a contraction because her head was already half out. Two pushes and there she was!

After some snuggle time with mommy and daddy, they gave her a bath and did the routine tests. Her nurse decided Ava's breathing was a little on the fast side and she seemed to have some fluid left in her lungs so she was taken to the intermediate nursery. After a couple hours of observation, Ava was moved to the NICU to take a closer look at her lungs. The end result is that her lungs are about 2-3 weeks underdeveloped. Worse case scenario is that Ava will be spending the next couple of weeks in the NICU, but she could improve even sooner. There is nothing else wrong with her health and apparently underdeveloped lungs are quite common...even in full term babies.

It's been an emotional couple of days for us and leaving the hospital today without our baby was definitely not easy. I'm pumping every 2 hours to make sure she gets plenty of milk once she's off the glucose IV. I'll be visiting her every day at noon for "touch time" and to hear the latest from the doctor. Once she's downgraded to NICU 2, we can hold her and feed her.

One thing keeping me sane is being home with the boys. Some sort of normal routine is needed so that I can keep my mind busy. I'm sure it would be easy to fall into some sort of depression, but that would be ridiculous. Ava is in excellent hands, is staying stable and will be home before we know it.

So here's what you've all been waiting for!

Ava Marie Payne
Born: 11/28/08 at 5:37pm
Weight: 5lb 11oz
Height: 19 1/2 inches

8 comments:

Chad Rector said...

Congratulations and best wishes - I hope she's able to come home soon.

Deb said...

she is a beauty...I'm sorry to hear that she cannot come home but this is very normal. My sister says so and she is a labor and delivery nurse.
Best wishes to you and Jason and the boys. Ava completes your little family.
God Bless You All.

Roxanne Schwandt said...

She sure looks like a little princess!! I know she will get stronger every minute and every hour till she can safely come home. Prayers are with her. Love-N-hugs from us! ROXnTOMnBABY

Pam said...

Congratulations!!! She is, of course, beautiful! And...I'm not saying that because I love you and your family - she is truly very pretty, especially for a newborn. I can't wait to meet her in person! Just rest and take care of yourself while you prepare for her happy homecoming. I'm delighted for all of you!

Judyann said...

Jamie, what a gorgeous little baby. Ava is just precious. So sorry about her having to stay. That happened with Jessica too. 10 days in NICU. But just look at her now. Ava will be just fine. Enjoy this opportunity to rest and gain your strength back. You'll need it when she comes home.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on Ava finally joining her family! I'm sure she will be in your arms before you know it!

Chere said...

What a little angel. She will be at home before you know it. Dusty still had fulid in his lungs when he was born and look at him. She will be home soon. I can't wait to meet the newest little scrap booker.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Payne Family! You tell Ava's brothers to watch out...when she comes home, she will show them who's boss...that goes for Daddy too!