Friday, April 4, 2008

Like I need more in my life!

Ya'll know how much I love photography and scrapping. If you don't...where the hell have you been? You certainly haven't been reading this blog!

Okay, so I love photography and scrapping. I love photographing and scrapping my family the most...works well for all of us. But lately I've been feeling like there's more out there. I really wasn't sure what that "more" was but I just KNEW that there was more for me to learn. After spending numerous hours blog stalking, (definition of blog stalking: reading one person's blog, which leads you to another blog, which leads you to another blog, which leads you to another blog until finally you have no idea how the hell you got to the current blog) I stumbled onto this woman's blog who loves to knit and quilt. These are two things that I've always admired, but from afar. My great grandma used to quilt and knit. In fact, one of Jameson's crib blankets is a quilt she made for Ayden. Both boys have used it. I love that quilting and knitting can produce things that will be passed down to other generations. Sort of like the scrapbooks that I will some day complete.

So maybe quilting and knitting are my "more". Seriously, how suzy-homemaker is that? Pretty soon I'm going to be a stay-at-home-mom who cooks, sews, knits, quilts and scrapbooks!! No offense to any SAHM who does all of that but when you grow up with the vision of having some high-profile career making tons of money in a big city, the whole suzy-homemaker thing seems a bit foreign. Since I haven't exactly done the high-profile job making tons of money thing either, I think I need to find that happy medium. How about working/creative mom. Yeah, that sounds good.

The entire point to this is that I think I need to find some "more" and maybe quilting and knitting is it. I need to be able to something creative while sitting on the deck watching the boys play or while we watch yet another episode of Scooby Doo. I think the next step for me will be to buy some "beginning" quilting and knitting books and possibly buy the basic yet necessary tools.

I'll keep you posted. Who knows, maybe this year for Christmas you'll be getting a homemade scarf and quilt! Believe me, crazier things have happened....

5 comments:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

My idea of "more" is to crochet. Your maternal great-grandmother made beautiful crocheted items ranging from blankets to sweaters. Your paternal grandmother (Grandma Danke) crocheted a lovely yellow/white baby blanket for you; your favorite multi-colored baby "blankie" was crocheted by Pam Carpenter. Your babies have a crocheted baby blanket made by my friend/co-worker Louise. She has promised to teach me but I never seem to find time. Making handmade items is a lost art. In our fast-paced lives, it is more "convenient" to go to a department store and buy an item made in China, Japan or Sri Lanka. If given a choice, I would take home-made over store-bought ANY day! If you learn to crochet, would you teach me?

Roxanne Schwandt said...

HAHAHAHAHA! you are hilarious jamie. That's all I can even say at this point... I'll let you know when I can breathe again from all this choaked up laughter! LOL

Roxanne Schwandt said...

phew, ok a couple mins gone by and I'm better. I'm only choaked up because I TOTALLY get it! I totally know exactly what you mean!! When I was off for two and a half months, it really opened my eyes and I found out what I really want out of life is to be a successful SAHM with my own business. All I need now is the "mom" part and I'll be good to go. So you go on and learn a new craft -- your kids and family with thank you for it someday! Hugs. and I'm still laughing because it is just so funny how our mindset changes as we approach our 30s.

Chere said...

Jamie, Jamie, Jamie, Did you ever think about that maybe they did not have scrap booking in your grandmother time. Okay, I will admitt. I used to do cross stitch, smocking, free hand embro. and yes crochete. Oh I also hand painted clothes. Marlee had a great pair of jean and a t-shirt to go with it. I still have it. Maybe she will have a little daughter someday. Good luck and go for it.

Judyann said...

Jamie,

When you are ready to quilt, let me know. I'll be so happy to get you going and working on some quilts. I have all the supplies! Have fun with the knitting. It's great for relaxing and easy to take with you somewhere.