Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Excuse me...how much weight did you say I gained??????

Yup. An hour later and this question is still buzzing through my head. I walked into today's 6 month check up so very confident that my time at the gym was going to pay off. Don't get me wrong. I know I have to gain weight ...I'm pregnant after all...but I was hoping to keep it to 1-2 pounds per month. So after I got on the scale and snuck a peek at my chart, I just about fell off my chair! 5 lbs...in one month? That's after hitting the gym 4 days a week for the past month. Dr. McSwain tried to console me by giving the "muscle weighs more than fat" speech but I wasn't listening. I was still stuck on the fact that I gained 5lbs in one freakin month. I promised myself during my drive to the office that I wouldn't give up. I will continue to schlep my gym bag across the street even though all I really want to do is waive the white flag and do a face plant in an order of Moe's nachos.

To make matters even worse? After calling Jason to cry out my frustrations, he informed me that I shouldn't feel bad because all of my weight gain is in my boobs. Stupid, stupid man. It's a good thing I love him so much or there would be a dead plumber at Tyler Perry's brand new studio right now! Don't worry...I'll make him pay for his momentary lapse in judgement.

Here's what's going on with Ava during week 24....

This is another big week for your magical growing baby! Just take a look at the checklist for this week: 1) ears: done; 2) fingernails: done; 3) (if you have a boy) testicles: taking their 3-4 day trip from the abdominal wall to the scrotum; and 4) lungs walls: secreting “surfactant”. What’s that? Well, surfactant is sort of what it sounds like: a surface-activated fat whose main purpose is to assist the your baby's little lungs during inflation (as in, filling with air, not getting more expensive). Just in case you’re curious, your submerged baby is still breathing in amniotic fluid, preparing and rehearsing the lungs an oxygen-filled life outside the womb. By the end of this week, your child will be weighing around 2 lbs and 14 inches long. Your cutie-patootie may even be a little more plump, but isn't anywhere near their full baby-fatted cute-self. Most of the “filling out” is coming up in that long awaited (and slightly dreaded?) third trimester. Woo-hoo! Get ready!

5 comments:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

It's a darn good thing the Labor Day weekend weather was so crummy. Otherwise, you would have gained even more weight considering the menu we had planned. Well, there's always Scrap Club next Sunday and perhaps a cookout dinner Saturday (if the weather gods cooperate). Then there's all the fall festivals, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Oh well, I guess 5 pounds doesn't sound so bad in the grand scheme of things. What are you having for lunch????

Roxanne Schwandt said...

That's just the thing the male brain (especially this family) would say! Exactly what comes outta Tom's mouth as well. Kind of ironic cuz when I got on the scale before my surgery last week, I had gained 5lbs since my last weigh-in, too. I couldn't believe it. I got off, had them reset it, got back on and it said the same dam thing! OH!!!!

Deb said...

Jamie, after reading your post, I found myself LOL! Don't beat yourself up, girl! Just think, you will be one of "those moms" who leave the hospital in her prepregnancy jeans. The ones that we all hate! Just kidding.
Moe's has nachos? Are they good?
As for Jason, just tell him those babies (the boobs) are for Ava. Sorry Dear!

Mama/Baby-Catcher/KellyJellyBelly/KJB/Wifey said...

Girlfriend, do I know what you're going through or what!!!! I just did a 6lb weight gain in one month and the one before that was 5lbs. I DO think it's my boobs, though. They're huge. Either way, that's one tough pill to swallow.

Judyann said...

Jamie, I feel your pain. When I was pregnant with Jessica my doctor actually yelled at me because I put on a lot of weight in one month. Of course, I had been sick and hadn't put on any weight until that appointment. Oh well. . . in the big scheme of things it doesn't matter. It will all come off eventually. Don't stress, you are doing the right thing by working out and eating properly. Keep up the good work.