Friday, February 22, 2008

If You Could Pick Any Career...

...what would it be?

I definitely did not pick accounting to be my career, it sort of picked me. I was working as a receptionist for a company in down town Chicago and there was an opening in their accouting department. Not really wanting to be a receptionist, I chose to take some accounting courses at the local community college and move into the accounts payable department. Okay, so I was technically the only person in the accounts payable department but I remember feeling so much more important...needed...appreciated. All of a sudden I had a goal. Continue my education and some day become a CPA (since they make very nice money). I moved from accounts payable to accounts receivable to staff accountant. When I moved back to Wisconsin I started out in accounts payable again. Shortly after I found myself moved into cost accounting. I finally got my associates degree in accouting shortly after marrying Jason. Now in Georgia, my concentration is in payroll. Don't get me wrong, I love my job...I just don't see me doing this for the rest of my life.

So if I could pick any career, it would be photography. I am in total awe of the amazing way photographers capture life. There is so much beauty in this world and it always seems to look better through the lens of a camera. Since I began scrapping, I've been trying to change the way I take my pictures. Learning to use your camera is so much fun! Editing your photos can be even more fun!

I never thought of myself as creative. I can't draw a stick person to save my life. I always thought you made art when you used paint or sculptured something...you had to use your hands. I never thought of photography as art. Boy was I wrong. There are so many photographers that I find so inspiring! Looking at their work gives me tingles...it lifts me up...it makes me see things differently.

So who knows, maybe 10 years down the road I won't be sitting in an office in front of a computer making sure everyone is paid on time. Maybe I'll be photographing someone's wedding. Making sure that the joy and love that they feel for eachother that day is captured forever. Or maybe I'll be photographing a newborn baby in such a way that it's parents will always remember how their baby smelled like lavendar and felt like silk.

What is your ideal career? Maybe you're already living it...

BTW - We have a contact at Savannah College of Art & Design (Chere's son, Dusty) who is looking into the cost of Photoshop CS3 with his student discount for us. There is no way I could ever spend $650 on this software so I hope he gets a good discount! Using this software, you can transform an every day photo into an amazing piece of art. I get the chills just thinking about it!

BTW 2 - I'm also going to add a new category to my sidebar. As I find photographers who inspire me, I'll add a link to their website/blog so you can check them out too.

1 comment:

Chere said...

I also wanted to be a window dresser. When I was in high school I work for a store called Ups and Downs. They offered me 4 years of college in New York at design school. I would work for them when I got out. I was only 16 when I graduated from HS. My parents said No. They were looking out for me. I would have be a mess in NY at 16 in 1974. But I always think what could I have done?