Thursday, July 31, 2008

Parenting Is Hard Work

Well, it certainly isn't a cake walk! And we're definitely not given an instruction manual at the hospital after delivery. Once you can prove you're able to change a diaper and you can get your baby to latch on for nursing, you're pretty much so kicked out of the hospital. Then you get your baby home and all you want to do is change it's clothes about 10 times a day (because everything is so darn cute!) and stare at your new bundle of joy.

And then reality sets in. You lay down in bed for a comfortable nights sleep and BAM! The baby is up...wanting to be fed, needing it's diaper changed or just looking for snuggles and love. And whether you nurse or bottle feed, there will still be those midnight feedings. And if you nurse...well, let's just admit it...bad things happen to the girls! As you're sitting there at 1am listening to info-mercials while nursing your newborn, you realize that you're breasts are never going to look the same again. But it's all worth it because you only want the best for your baby, right? Right!

Okay, so now you've got nursing/bottle feeding right and you can change a diaper in under 30 seconds. You haven't drowned your baby in the bathtub yet he/she hasn't rolled off the bed with a crash landing on the floor. Now it's time to move onto solid foods. When's the right time to start? Regular or organic? Rice cereal or a combo of rice with stage 1? These are all valid concerns because at 6months, we're already worried about screwing up our kid's life!

Next is rolling over, crawling, walking and talking. And once your child is mobile and talking...it gets even more scary. You're more concerned about what you say and how you act so that you're setting the right example. Things that once seemed so innocent (like TV) now become your worst nightmare. Whoever said children are like sponges, was right on! My darling Ayden hears everything, repeats everything and remembers everything.

My point to this is that parenting isn't exactly easy (like I thought it was going to be while still pregnant with Ayden). It's definitely the most rewarding thing I've ever done though. My hope for our children is not that they become the next rocket scientists. I would like them to do well in school so that they can succeed in life, but I feel like there are other things that I need to teach them as well. Manners, respect, morals and compassion...just to name a few. I feel like those "life lessons" are harder to instill in our children than the ABC's. When you're dealing with a 4 year old and a 2 year old, it's dang frustrating!!

If you've met Jameson, our 2 year old (wasn't that a treat?), you'll see where my frustrations lie. He's got the face of an angle and the personality of a demon. He can be sweet and cuddly and precious. But he can also be a terror. We've tried just about everything we can think of with him. Anyone else out there going through the terrible two's? Ayden, our 4 year old sort of skimmed over this stage so I was ill-prepared for Jameson. Well, everything we try with Jameson sort of fails. I'm going out this weekend to buy some books that will hopefully give me some much needed inspiration and advice.

If you too are struggling with the terrible two's, I thought you may find some of these books interesting:

Positive Discipline for Preschoolers
Positive Discipline - The First Three Years
The Mighty Toddler
How to Say No to Your Toddler
The Happiest Toddler on the Block

I'll let you know how I like them. I'll probably get one of the first two on my list first and go from there. Just keep in mind that what works for one child, may not work for another. My boys are prime examples of that!

5 comments:

Roxanne Schwandt said...

Good advice, and just so you don't feel alone, my good friend has a 10-yr old, 5-yr old, and 1 1/2-yr old, and she said she is still learning... after 10 years... and how different her kids are from eachother. I'll be our parents are still learning...they've got to be ;)

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Jamie, you are an amazing, compassionate, multi-tasking mother and wife. I am in awe of all you do and how well you keep it together. If anyone could write a manual on parenthood, it would be you. "Memoirs Of A Hectic Household". Ha! Your boys may be a handful now, but they will grow to be fine young men under your tuteldge and example. Jason is there to support you too. You're doing nothing wrong...and everything right. I have never been more proud of you than now.

Chere said...

Jmaie, I agree with your Mom. Having two boys, 15 months apart, can not be easy. Boys are a hand full regardless. I to have two children who were totally different. One was the glass is half empty and one was the glas is half full. All I can say is love them every second of the day. Hold them close to your heart. One day, and it will be here before you know it, you will look around and your babies will be taller and stronger then you.
You may want to go ahead and read the book "The Strong Will Child". It is an great book.

Anonymous said...

Our pediatrian recommended reading the book or renting the dvd/vhs tape, 1-2-3 Magic. (I rented the dvd so Cory would watch it too. Both parents have to be on the same page when discipline is involved, so I knew we could take 2 hrs to watch the dvd. Time for both of us to read one book...yeah rights..the dvd just worked out better.) It's effective discipline for Children 2-12 yrs old. In short when the child is in the wrong, you say, "that's 1", if the child still does not listen, you say, "that's 2" 3rd times a charm??, if not, you say "that's 3 and you get a 3 minute timeout". How ever old the child is, is how long the timeout is for. Good luck! p.s., just wait for the mood changing, fun loving, crabby, hitting, kicking precious little girl. Then you will see nigt and day :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can bruit about that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is even now a question as you did in the downgrade delivery of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=quick time pro 7.2 ?
I noticed the axiom you have not used. Or you profit by the dreary methods of development of the resource. I have a week and do necheg