Monday, August 25, 2008

Am I Weird?

Please don't get me wrong...I love summer. I love the blue skies, the warm weather and time spent by the pool. But I'm a Midwesterner at heart. I tire of temps in the 90's and the oppressive humidity. Sometimes I long for cloudy, dreary days and yes, the smell of crisp fall leaves. The sort of days that make you want to stay indoors where it's dry, warm and safe. So as badly as I feel for people who were adversely affected by hurricane Fay, I would like to thank her for sending so much crappy weather our way.

I've had the same to-do list for months and only a few things have actually gotten crossed off, only to be added a back a couple of weeks later. When I woke up Saturday morning to clouds and mist, I almost did a happy dance. What better excuse to stay home and indoors! The boys woke me up around 6am and daddy was out the door for work about an hour later. With Diego playing in the living room, I started with our laundry. We only left the house once...to take daddy lunch and hit the grocery store. With the skies threatening to dump at any moment, there was no way we were going out to eat. By the time Jason walked through the door our bedroom, bathroom, Ava's room, the boys' room, living room and kitchen had all been cleaned. I even took everything out of the refrigerator and cleaned it from top to bottom...throwing away anything that I could no longer identify. All of our laundry was clean and put away. There was a blueberry cobbler (made from scratch) cooling on the stove and dinner was cooking in the oven. I was feeling great! While Ayden and Jason stayed up to watch The Secret of Nimh, Jameson and I went to bed nice and early. I was exhausted but in such a good way!

Sunday morning we woke up to more clouds and gloom. Yeah! There was still so much more to do and I was on a roll. I made the boys scrambled eggs and started stripping beds. I was forced to wake Jason up around 9:30am so I could get our sheets clean too. I started working on the office/scrap area (way too big of a project for just one day) and steam cleaned the carpet in our bedroom, Ava's room (starting to get ready for our princess...can you tell?), the hallway and the living room. All day, there was a beef roast with onions, carrots, potatoes and mushrooms cooking in the crockpot. The house smelled soooo yummy! Jason had a short to-do list as well and didn't complain once about getting things done. He moved the boys' cable line to the other side of their bedroom (and encountered a dead rat in the crawl space), hung up some new lights by the bunk beds, cleaned out the garage and picked up some trash in the bushes. He also totally saved my poor uterus by moving all the heavy furniture around so I could steam clean the entire living room floor. Mimi and Bumpa arrived promptly at 5:30pm for dinner. We tend to tone down the family dinners during the summer so it felt good to have them over two weekends in a row. As I was taking a shower before bed (didn't want to crawl into clean sheets after working all day), I realized that I didn't leave the house once all day. I can't remember the last time I did that!!! The best part?? Right around dinner, the skies finally opened up and we had a nice thunderstorm that took us through until bedtime. Thanks again Fay!!

And now it's Monday. It was cloudy and foggy this morning as I made my way into work but nothing could ruin the good mood that the productive weekend had put me in. Not the jackasses driving the speed limit in the fast lane, not the roadside drug bust that had me crawling through the connector and definitely not the knowledge that I had a one-day payroll ahead of me. No sirree. This is going to be a good week!

I hope yours was just as enjoyable!

4 comments:

Pam said...

I agree - the high temps zap my energy and I miss the cool breezes of the NC mountains. My saturday afternoon was spent curled up on the couch watching movies. PERFECT DAY! Sometimes we just need a day in - whether we are getting chores completed at home or just chilling out! After reading about your weekend - you may now need a day just to rest! Ummmm - I can just smell the roast!

Deb said...

It must be the Midwesterner in me too as I love a cool crisp day. I love the long shadows of fall. Our rain didn't hit up in Cumming until Sunday after church. Still, I love the sounds of rain!

Judyann said...

Well Jamie. I'm glad you got so much done this weekend. I on the other hand just don't enjoy the rain and dreariness at all. I however did get a good nap in Sunday afternoon.

Mama/Baby-Catcher/KellyJellyBelly/KJB/Wifey said...

My weekend went the same way and it felt soooo damn good. Except that it didn't rain, we never get rain. Maybe I live in a desert now, sometimes I hear people say that and I don't know if they're serious or not. Needless to say, there is nothing as satisfying as having clean laundry all nicely folded and smellin' purdy. You and I must be nesting!