Friday, August 22, 2008

Really quick update

It's been a rough week and I couldn't be more happy that today is Friday (I think I say that every Friday). Between family illness, doctor visits, horrible commutes, and swim lessons we've been on the go constantly.

After Ayden's shots on Tuesday, I had been waiting for the dreaded fever that he always gets. I could see an attitude change coming on Wednesday morning when I dropped him off at school. He didn't want me to leave, he "needed" me, and was crying hysterically. I felt like the world's worst mom as I left him kicking and screaming with his teacher and raced to work. Yesterday it was the same thing. Leaving my children when they are unhappy drains me. I feel like an emotional void. I had just gotten to the parking lot and pulled into my space, when Jason called to tell me the school had called him. Ayden had thrown up shortly after I left and was running a fever. Being the awesome daddy that Jason is, he offered to leave work, go pick up a car seat at my mom's and pick up Ayden. Knowing that is actually out of the question for him right now (serious deadlines at Tyler Perry's studio), I put the truck in reverse and headed back home to pick Ayden up myself...feeling even more crappy than I already had for leaving my baby when he was obviously distraught and not feeling well. My heart just about broke when I found him sleeping in a chair in the nurse's room. He was burning up! I took him home, gave him some Tylenol and put him to bed. He slept until 11ish and woke up slightly cooler and happier. After another dose of Tylenol at 12:30, his fever finally broke around 4. He insisted on going to swim lessons so off we went.

He felt a little warm to me this morning so I made him take some more Tylenol before dropping the boys off. He wasn't exactly thrilled that I was leaving him again, but I managed to get out the door and on my way to work. I'm hoping for a relaxing weekend. Jason has to work tomorrow, but has promised to be home Sunday for family time.

5 comments:

Judyann said...

Glad Ayden is feeling better. He had me worried. I hate it when the kids get shots, it's scary. Hope you are able to have a relaxing weekend too.

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Glad to hear that Ayden is doing better. He actually looked perky and happy last night after his swim lesson. It breaks my heart to see a frown on that little face. Want to come over for a swim this weekend?

Jamie Payne said...

Do humans breath air? Duh! Of course we want to come over for a swim. Ayden would have a fit if he didn't get to practice his new swimming moves:)

Deb said...

These times in Motherhood are difficult. Just rest assured that we have all been there and experienced exactly what you are experiencing right now. Glad to hear the little guy is feeling better and remember....you have a weekend to spend quality time as a family.

Mama/Baby-Catcher/KellyJellyBelly/KJB/Wifey said...

Well, you don't have to ask me twice about how I feel about vaccines. Poor little buster. I too, hate leaving my babies when they're anything but perky and happy. It breaks my heart. Nobody ever told me that the hard stuff isn't the physical day-to-day of motherhood, it's the heart of the matter that keeps me up at night.