Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Thinking of making a change...

It's days like today that I seriously consider quitting my job to find something closer to home. I love working for the Chamber. I love what we stand for and the positive impact we have on the community. I love the people I work with and I thoroughly enjoy my job. My boss is absolutely amazing and I'm so lucky to report to such a wonderful woman.

I seriously hate my commute though. Most days it isn't toooo bad, but it's days like today that I want to just turn around and go back home. I was at my first stop of the day...dropping Jameson off at Marguerite's...when David comes out to tell me that I shouldn't take Interstate 85. Apparently there was a horrible accident around 5am this morning with serious injuries, possible fatalities and overturned vehicles. I immediately called Jason who had left the house around the same time as me to warn him that all lanes northbound and southbound were closed. Unfortunately, he had just gotten onto 85 and was at a complete standstill.

I dropped Ayden off at school and took my time by getting extra kisses and hugs. I drove to RaceTrac to fill up with gas and pondered my options. None of them looked very good. Down by us, there aren't a lot of alternate routes to the city. I decided my course and ended up sitting on Oakley Industrial for about 45 minutes until I finally reached Union City. I was able to get onto 85 northbound and made it to work over an hour late. I called Jason (who had taken my second option) to make sure he made it okay. The poor guy was still sitting on Hwy 29, nowhere near the job site.

Interstate 85 is a death trap during rush hour. I wish I could avoid it, but it's the quickest and shortest way into the city. Now that we're adding to our family in December, I think more and more about finding a job closer to home. I love having a career but I would really like to go part time. If I could find a job closer to home that allows me to work a 30-32 hour week with full benefits and no decrease in salary, I'd take it in a heartbeat. So, if you know of anyone in my area looking for a knowledgeable and dependable payroll accountant (who will hopefully be a CPP after October 1st) please let me know! Continuing to work in my field but still be accessable to my children would be a dream come true.

8 comments:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

I worry about your commute ALL the time and would love nothing more than have you closer to home with less of a dangerous commute. By the nature of his job, Jason will always be on the road. It would be nice if you could be closer to home, more accessible to the boys, and still be in a career you enjoy. I know you are not interested in being a stay-at-home. With your payroll, accounting, benefits adminstration, and HR experience hopefully you'll find your dream job/location. I'm cheering for you!

Roxanne Schwandt said...

Good luck with that! That would really annoy the heck outta me if I had a commute like that. My drive to work involves one stop light, one yield sign, and one stop sign... a total of about 6 minutes and 2 miles driven, one-way. Depending if I have to go to the bank after work, then I have one stop sign and two lights.

Mama/Baby-Catcher/KellyJellyBelly/KJB/Wifey said...

I'm with ya girlfriend.

Chere said...

I understan your pain with the commute. Like Doris, I think of all my friends who have to travel each morning on the expressway. Some places you could try are: Walker Concret, Barney Walker is a wonderful man. He is a member of our church in Fayetteville. He has a great family with kids, grandkids and maybe great-grandkids. It would not hurt to go by and put in a application. Another place that is great to work for is Chick-fil-a. It thats a long time to get a job there but it is a great company. There are also two new places at the top fo Hwy. 92 off of Oakley Ind. Blvd. Good luck and I will keep my hears open.

Deb said...

There's nothing worse than commuting. Is remember the days back in Chicago when a 45 minute commute turned into 8 hours when in the midst of a snow storm. Luckily, these are not conditions we have to manage here in Atlanta, however, traffic is ugly. Fred drives 40 miles from exit 13 on 400to just south of the airport. I hope you find something quickly
, Jamie!

dsr524 said...

Sometimes there are advantages in living in the same area all of your life. Pam and I had to go to into Atlanta today for a class, fortunately, I know backroads around Fairburn that by pass the expressway, Hwy 29, and Oakley Industrial Blvd. It only took us about 40 minutes total to get from the Fairburn office (of Porex) to to our destination on Briarcliff Road.
P.S. If you find that job you're looking for - the one where you work 30 - 32 hours a week with full benefits and no decrease in salary - ask 'em if they have two!:)

Judyann said...

Jamie, hope to help you find something closer to home by keeping an ear open. Try the website Indeed.com. I get a job listing everyday of jobs in the PTC, Fayetteville area. You never know. There is always NCR, but we don't do Payroll here. If you want, the next time we are looking for someone in Finance I'll submit your resume.

Judyann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.