Wednesday, August 6, 2008

It's mornings like this...

that set me up for a happy day.

Ayden woke up on the right side of the bed for a change. I greeted him with my typical smile and tickles. Normally he just moans and moves over to the other side of the bed where he knows I can't reach him on the top bunk. This normally turns into an argument and tears, but not this morning. I helped him down with his friends and we moved to the living room for a little Jo Jo's Circus. He got dressed and we brushed his teeth without a single whine. There were lots of smiles and hugs for mommy. Jameson had migrated to our room around 4:30 this morning and was wide awake watching daddy get ready when I flew in to get him dressed. Again, a few tickles and he was all smiles. Cooperation from both of my boys? That's normally unheard of!

The kids got in the car after saying good morning to Jason's co-workers (our driveway now resembles a used car lot during the day) and we were off to Marguerite's. Ayden is always very good when it's time for mommy to leave for work. After a few hugs and kisses he crawls up on the couch next to David to watch some morning cartoons. Jameson on the other hand, has a total meltdown. This morning was different though. David asked for some help putting the vacuum cleaner away. Jameson took his hand, started to walk away and as an afterthought looked back at me and said goodbye with a big smile on his face. Being a working parent is so much easier when you can leave your children with a smile on their face!

So you have to check out my mom's blog for pictures from swim lessons last night. I brought my camera but was too busy keeping Ayden in the pool and Jameson out of it to take any pictures. Thank goodness Mimi came prepared.

Ayden was so excited about swim lessons. He knows how to do most of the stuff they're going to learn in Pre-Level 1 but didn't do so hot at swim evaluations. When we got there he couldn't wait to get in the water. I had already told him that it would just be him, his teacher and some other kids. Mommy could NOT get in the water with him. Everything was fine until his little butt hit the water.

I understand why though. He's comfortable with his family in the pool because he trusts us. He'd never met Nicole (swim teacher) before and did not trust that she would keep him safe. I tried walking away into the store area with Jameson hoping that he would be able to concentrate on Nicole and not me. Besides, the pool area was about 150 degrees and the store is air conditioned. There are also a ton of fish tanks to keep Jameson entertained. Apparently my absence didn't work. When I walked back in by the pool Ayden was having a nervous breakdown and wanted to get out of the pool to find me. After some soothing words from mommy and Mimi, we convinced Ayden to give it a try. After every exercise, he wanted to get out of the pool for a hug and more encouragement. Anything to get him motivated!

By the end of the lesson he was all smiles. Every time he would do something well with Nicole, we'd give him two big thumbs up. That was all the encouragement he needed going forward. He even announced at one point "Mommy! This getting easier!!". I'm so proud of my little man. As long as I'm sitting there with my eyes glued to his every action, he seems to do fine. Now that he knows Nicole is not going to let him drown, I think we'll have a better time on Thursday. If I can keep Jameson under control, I'll take some pictures.

Come back later today (or tomorrow) for a few good recipes!

3 comments:

Judyann said...

Jamie, it's so good that you are putting Ayden in swimming lessons. They are so important at any age. Glad it went well and you have fabulous pictures to document the event with thanks to your mom. Her photography is sooooo good. Makes me envious. You are such a wonderful mother.

Roxanne Schwandt said...

I hope the rest of your day lived up to the great morning you had! What a nice way to start the day. LOVE the pics of Ayden's swimming lessons. He's coming around to trusting someone else in the water. Soon he'll be the fish at swim lessons that he is at Mimi and Bumpas!

Chere said...

Jamie, The pics are so great of little Ayden and his swimming leasons. Those big tears just broke my heart. I was glad to see the big smile and of course DQ smile. It is hard for them to trut a stranger. Dusty had to be dragged to his first leason kicking and screaming. After the first one he said "I think I will do this again tomorrow". Thank goodness. Normally the swim teachers are great and fun people. Good luck on Thursday and go little Ayden.