Monday, June 16, 2008

Is it a boy....or is it a girl???

Well, today I went in for my 13 week Downs Syndrome screening. It was during this test with Jameson that the ultrasound tech was able to tell me that we were having another boy. I was hoping that we would have the same luck again this time but for the first time I was also worried about the chances of our baby having Downs.

Dr. Korotkin assured me after the ultrasound that there were no indicators of Downs. My blood work will be back in a week, but he feels confident that our chances will go from 1 in 500 (due to my age) to 1 in the thousands. Okay, huge deep breath. Much better. I could have hugged the man, I was so happy.

So as to the baby's sex. Because the umbilical cord was right between the baby's legs, they were not able to tell me the sex. I did comment to my doctor on how mobile the baby is already. Legs were going everywhere, arms were going up and down from the head and the baby kept stretching and arching it's back. The boys would just sit there like lumps on a log for their ultrasounds. Dr. Korotkin said lots of movement is a sign of a girl. So that along with the ring test has me convinced this baby is a girl. Jason, on the other hand, is staying firm about this baby being a boy. Typical:)

My next ultrasound is scheduled for July 14th at 9am. Hopefully by then the umbilical cord will have moved!

9 comments:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

After seeing all the adorable girlie clothes at The Children's Place yesterday, I will think positive thoughts about this baby wearing pink. I'm selfishly glad you couldn't determine the baby's sex at this ultrasound. I will work on the weekend to complete payroll at the next ultrasound so I can go with you. Yeah!

Mama/Baby-Catcher/KellyJellyBelly/KJB/Wifey said...

You could do the pee in the Draino thing, too. I forget the rules for it. Yeah, babies are silly. Baby Ultimo was grabbing his/herself for our whole ultrasound. I hadn't heard the thing about a lot of movement before, that's very interesting. Can you feel it?

Roxanne Schwandt said...

Yay!!!! I have also heard of the Draino test, but I think you have to do it at like 16-18 wks. My friend did it; it said girl, a few wks later the ultrasound said girl, and she had a girl!! *keeping our fingers crossed for your GIRL* :) ROX

Jamie Payne said...

I've thought of trying out the Draino thing. I need to find the directions so I do it correctly. Even though baby bean was moving around like a gymnast, I still can't feel anything. I think that's the best part of ultrasounds. Besides the enlarging belly, sometimes you wonder if there's really something in there. Then you look up at the screen and see your baby moving around and it's the most amazing thing ever. Today was the day it finally hit home that I'm having another baby...and I'm beyond excited about it!

Pam said...

I can't wait for this new addition to your family. I think Baby Bean knew that Debra wasn't there and is saving the BIG gender surprise so her Mimi can share the joy!

Judyann said...

Yeah Debra not being there has got to be why the baby held off on the big reveal. Never heard of the Draino test. Is it something new in the last 16 years? Can't wait until July 14th. Glad everything checked out fine.

Chere said...

Of course it's a girl. She will let us know when she gets ready. That is girls for you. Everything in their own time. I am glad everything went well with your test. We will keep our fingers crossed for our little princess Diva. Her Fairy Grandprincess is waiting for her arrival.

Deb said...

Oh, Jamie, we were travlling yesterday and have now landed in the glorios state park Rock Cut outside of Rockford ,Illinois. When we landed last night, i was way too tired to turn on the computer.
I know it's a girl. Girls don't coorporate with the schedules of others. She is already vying to be the Diva in her own right and not dance to the beat of another!

Deb said...

sorry for all the typos....:( sometimes even my glasses don't help!