Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A romance blooms yet again...

...my romance with Micky D's that is. I'm not sure which hormone is racing through my body right now that absolutely demands McDonald's for breakfast but I'm starting to give in to it. I've been resisting. Resisting the deliciousness of greasy hash browns and those delectable Egg McMuffins. But I can stay away no longer. Today is Wednesday and I've cruised through the drive-thu on Hwy 74 two times this week. Rosa will know me on a first name basis by the end of my pregnancy. It's inevitable. I've been through this inner struggle twice before. With Ayden and Jameson it was the Sausage Egg McMuffin though.

Even as I make my way up to the speaker, I can feel the adrenaline pumping through my body. It takes all of my willpower to make it through the first window to pay and then finally move on to window number two where my small bag is waiting, neatly folded at the top. By the time I make my way back onto Hwy 74 and barge my way onto interstate 85 (a total of 10 feet...okay, maybe a bit more than that), the hash browns are a distant memory. Cruising at a comfortable speed of 80 mph in the left lane I finally feel comfortable enough to unwrap the the chewy goodness that is waiting for me. I try not to inhale my McMuffin (I've already done that with the hash browns) but instead savor each bite. A little cheese, a little ham and oh, the wonderful round egg. I love it when they toast the muffin just perfectly...not too crunchy but not too soft.

Some of you may understand my love affair with the McMuffin and some of you may think I'm just plain crazy. It's okay. But for the next 7 months I'm going to cherish my time with this most famous breakfast sandwich. Because after the next 7 months, when my body begins to go back to normal, my love for the McMuffin will fade. I will no longer have to waste 7.36 minutes in drive-thru....I will no longer feel the need to hit the gym just to work off the extra 22 grams of fat and 450 calories..and I will no longer be wasting $3.64 on the Egg McMuffin meal.

Until those 7 months are up though, I will greet Rosa at the first drive-thru window every Monday, Wednesday and Friday with a smile on my face and my debit card hanging out of the window. Just hand over the bag and no one will get hurt!

7 comments:

Judyann said...

I was that way with Taco Bell with Jessica. Had to have it several times a week. Wonder what it is that makes you crave things during your pregnancies? Glad you are enjoying your most important meal of the day.

Deb said...

Although, I totally understand the cravings of a pregnant woman, I cannot nor will I ever share the delights of the Egg McMuffin as eggs, prepared in that manner, are just not appealing to me. Blah...yuck..icky!!!
On the bright side, since this craving is far different from the cravings you with your boys, it just goes to prove what we all know...IT'S A GIRL! :)

Roxanne Schwandt said...

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about, sista!!!!!!!

Chere said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chere said...

Jamie, there is nothing more wonderful than McDonalds. As far as fast food goes, it is my favorite. The Egg McMuffin meal is a great way to start the day. I change the coffee for a diet coke. For lunch or dinner, I like the Big Mc Meal. Accompanied by a medium order of fries and a diet coke. Thanks goodness for my heart and rear, I only eat at McDonalds about five time a year. I think the last time was with the scrap divas. Enjoying every bite of a McDonald meal is heaven. Enjoy!

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Yummmm... my mouth is watering. Help! I may drown in my own saliva.

I LOVE McDonald's sausage and egg McMuffin, hashbrowns, and large diet Coke... and I'm not even pregnant. Whatever it takes to keep my unborn grand-daughter happy, go for it! She is already the little Diva, isn't she?

So...where are we going for dinner tonight?

Pam said...

I loved reading this! I get that way now about a Big Mac. Yes - the rush is awesome and nothing but the desired delicacy will fill the void!