Thursday, June 26, 2008

The ups and downs of parenting...

Parenting is the most rewarding thing I've ever done, but it's also the most difficult. Ayden made easing into parenting so simple. He was such a good baby! He slept in his crib since the day we brought him home from the hospital. He never even attempted to get out of his crib on his own until we transitioned him to a big boy bed. He has always been a good eater and even potty training wasn't very difficult. We went through the normal toddler stuff like hitting and biting but it was so short lived. Ayden has always caught on to what is right and what is wrong. That doesn't mean he always chooses right, but when he does something wrong he is so remorseful. I love our conversations together. I feel so blessed that Ayden was my first born.

Now if Jameson had come first, he may be an only child. He hasn't been easy from the very beginning. It's almost like someone said "Hey, she got off really easy with #1 so let's spice things up with #2". Jameson has a mind of his own...not quite as moldable as Ayden. He knows what he wants to do, when he wants to do it, how he wants it done and who he wants to do it with. If you mess with him, beware. I definitely pick my battles with him...some are just not worth fighting over. He sleeps with us, is interested in everything to do with going potty in the toilet except for the actual act itself. He can't sit long enough to eat an entire meal and is a true pro at throwing temper tantrums. You can yell at him, spank him, pinch him and flick him...without him batting an eye. When I truly make an impact with him, he runs to his brother for hugs and comfort. Don't get me wrong...he has his sweet moments too but raising Jameson is a constant uphill battle.

Despite all of the madness in our home, my boys can melt my heart. Sometimes I'll walk into a room to find them playing so nice together. Or I'll find them on the couch watching cartoons and Jameson will have his head resting on Ayden's shoulder. Every day I pick them up from Marguerite's, I'm greeted with such enthusiasm and hugs and kisses. I love that when we read books together, Jameson has to sit on my lap and Ayden glues himself to my side. It cracks me up when Ayden sings songs during bath time and at the end of each one Jameson claps his hands with so much excitement. It never fails to put a smile on my face when the boys run around the house naked (trying to hide from me) when it's time for their bath.

I know parenting isn't supposed to be easy...if it were, we would take our babies home with a big, fat how-to manual. But we don't get that manual. We have to figure things out through trial and error. Something that works for one child, may not work for another (as in my case). But at the end of the day...after the commute, stressing at work, rushing home to make a balanced and nutritious dinner...I look at my babies asleep and am in complete awe. They're ours...all ours... and they love us. No matter how many times we yelled at them to stop hitting the TV with the hammer or no matter that we wouldn't let Ayden play with playdough because he pushed his brother off the ladder to the bunk beds. No matter all of that stuff...they still love us. And to me, that is what makes parenting all worthwhile and the most rewarding experience.

I'm very excited for baby bean to join our family. Whether a boy or a girl, their little personality will add a whole new twist to our family. I have to admit though...I sort of hope he/she is more laid back like Ayden:) I'm not sure I can handle another Jameson!

BTW - I think I mentioned this already, but our next ultrasound is scheduled for 7/14. Hopefully we'll find out the sex then!

4 comments:

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

My sweet little Ayden. He is such an angel and I am fully aware that he can play me like a fiddle. It never fails when I walk into the Payne house. "Mimi - do you want to come see my room?" That's Ayden's way of asking me to play with him, which I always oblige. Jameson on the other hand, is a devil in a little boy's body. He mostly ignores me but on those rare occasions when he puts his arms out to me and says "Hug", I melt. Having only one child, I never realized how different two siblings could be. I am excited beyond words about another baby. Whether this little one stands or sits to pee makes no real difference to me. I love every one of our grandchildren with all my heart. But you know I will always and forever have a special place in heart that is reserved just for Ayden. He reminds me so much of his mother.

Roxanne Schwandt said...

Thanks for making my cry at work!!! geez, how embarassing.
Love ya, rox :)

Deb said...

You know that sounds so familar. Babies No1 come down the shoot and tend to be the good sleepers, not the fussy ones, eat their spinach, and let's the parents sleep through the night early on. New parents are then spun into this web of "parenting is easy, let's have another baby!" and WHAMO! No 2 comes along and comes along and it the complete opposite of baby no 1. How many times have you heard Moms say, "if he/she was born first, he would be an only child!" Yes, the No 2 babies are quite unique. So it's not just you Jamie! It's all our experiences1

Chere said...

Jamie, I have to say that Marlee is your Jameson. I am not sure why we had Dusty but he is your Ayden. Marlee was four week early. She weighed 4 and 1/2 lbs. and was 18 inches long. She was like a little baby doll but with a mind of her own from birth. She was in the neo-natal nursery and had a special doctor because of her size. On day two, of my beautiful little daughters life, the doctor walked in and said "Marlee is a stong willed baby". I was so proud of her. If they had said that about Dusty, I would have run out of the hospital and left him. I love watching you with your darling little boys. They are such a breath of fresh air to me. Enjoy every minute. In a blink of an eye they will be going away to college. It goes by so fast. Have fun. I strongly reccomend the book "The Strong Willed Child". I may have a copy.