Thursday, March 20, 2008

Molluscum Contagiosum

Molluscum contagiosum is a relatively common viral infection of the skin that most often affects children. It results in firm bumps (papules) that are painless and usually disappear within 2-5 years without treatment. If the papules are scratched or injured, the infection can spread to surrounding skin.

After sitting in the waiting room for 2 hours with 2 small children, the dermatologist confirmed that Ayden has Molluscum. It's relatively easy to treat. They applied a topical gel to each of the bumps on Ayden's belly and leg producing large blisters. After 3 hours, I had to remove the bandages and rinse him off in the bathtub. Imagine my surprise I when I found the bumps had already blistered! Ayden was in some serious pain as I rinsed the gel off his little body. I wasn't supposed to put any more bandages on so into bed he went. I was up every hour with him last night. Every time he rolled over, he'd get wrapped up in the sheets and they'd rub against the blisters. Poor little dude.

This morning wasn't much better. He insisted on going to school for his Easter egg hunt, but I'd only let him go if he was able to get himself dressed. I figured if he was okay to do that, then he was okay to go to school for 3 hours. I have an important project that I'm finishing up at work and then I'm leaving to meet him at school. I want him to take it easy for the rest of the day at home. We'll pick Jameson up at 5 for Marguerite's egg hunt. Daddy is planning on making it home in time for the festivities.

Hopefully Ayden's blisters will scab over quickly. He may have to go in for 1-2 more treatments before the infection is finally gone. Serious bummer. His next appointment is in April and at this point I have no desire to let him know that we're going to have to this all over again.

You have NO idea how much I'm looking forward to the Diva Dinner tonight. Between the poop episode and now the Molluscum, I'm ready for a dinner surrounded by friends and a nice tasty beer!

No comments: