Monday, March 31, 2008

It's all about being a mom

I have a lot of mommy stuff today so beware!

My co-worker (Andre) and his kids came over to my parent's old house on Saturday to pick up a piece of work out equipment. Andre's kids are ADORABLE! Cameron is 7 and Blair is 5. So after the equipment was loaded in Andre's truck, I packed all the kids in my truck and we headed over to the new house for a tour of the pool/pool house. On our way there Blair just blurted out..."Miss Jamie, you look like a teenager not a mommy". I would have adopted Blair on the spot if she wasn't already completely loved by her parents! Thank you sweetie for making my entire weekend!!

Ayden is a pretty emotional kid. When he gets scolded he tears up as he apologizes. When he wakes up in the morning or from a nap, he normally wakes up confused and crying. When he can't have something that he wants, the lip comes out and he turns on the tears. Monday's are the worst. He has such a hard time getting going in the morning and today was no exception. He was crying because he put his shirt on backward and thought I was mad...duh...it was actually totally adorable! Then he started crying when I told him that he didn't have school today. He never has school on Monday's but for some reason it devastated him this morning. So we got in truck and this was our conversation:

Ayden: Mommy, sometimes I cry a lot.
Me: Yup buddy...sometimes you do. Why do you think that is?
Ayden: Because you don't play with me (as he's starting to cry).
Me: Buddy! I play with you all of the time!! And we snuggle and cook together.
Ayden: But you wouldn't play with me this morning.
Me: Ayden, you know how it is during the week. Mommy lets you sleep in as late as possible and then it's time to get dressed, brush your teeth and get in the truck.
Ayden: I know, but I just wanted to play with you this morning.

I'm a sucker. I almost turned the truck around, took the boys home and called in sick so we could stay home and play. I'm also smart though. Monday's are hard for us after spending two fabulous days together.

Me: I love playing with you too Ayden but mommy really has to go to work today. How about if we snuggle on the couch tonight after dinner and bath time. We'll watch Jameson's new Scooby Doo movie (for like the 30th time in a week).
Ayden: (Face totally lights up and a goofy grin appears). Okay mommy! That sounds like a great idea.

All was better in both of our worlds.

I think I've told you before that I normally head straight to the bathroom after getting to work to inspect my appearance. This is an important step to my day. Well, I was out of sorts this morning (my back is bothering me and I was still feeling bad about being a working mom) so I skipped that part. A few hours later, I'm having an important "space planning" conversation with Andre when I notice him looking at me differently. I'm not wearing anything new and I'm certainly not having a great hair day so I asked what he was looking at. He started to laugh at me and told me to go look in a mirror. Did I have a booger hanging from my nose??

One look in the mirror and I was totally mortified. I had black yarn in my hair, toddler toothpaste on the sleeve of my hot pink sweater and milk stains on my black pants. I looked like a train wreck! Both of the boys have this fetish with string. They love to play with it while watching TV...sort of like a security blanket and somehow a random chunk got lodged in my curls this morning. I understand the toothpaste. Jameson HATES having his teeth brushed so it's a battle that we go through daily. He'll turn his face into me so that I can't get to his mouth and he must have wiped toothpaste on me this morning. I sort of get the milk on my pants although Jameson didn't grab his sippy until we were walking out the door. Maybe I spilled on me as I was filling it up???

So as much as I love sweet Blair for telling me I look like a teenager, the evidence that I'm a mommy is all over me!

BTW - I'm ashamed to admit this, but I didn't take a single picture all weekend so I will not be posting a weekend recap...sorry:(

No comments: